Fire within a healthcare setting can have a significant impact and consequences which can include property loss, injury and potential loss of life. High levels of fire safety awareness and knowledge by the healthcare workforce is essential if safe healthcare environments are to be maintained and the distressing consequences that can be caused through fire are to be prevented.
By completing/passing this course, you will attain the certificate Fire Safety
- understand the characteristics of fire, smoke and toxic fumes
- know the fire hazards in the working environment
- be aware of the significant findings of relevant fire risk assessments
- understand how to practice and promote fire prevention
- be aware of basic fire safety and local fire safety protocols including staff responsibilities during a fire incident
- know the means of raising the fire alarm and the actions to take on hearing the fire alarm
- know instinctively the right action to take if fire breaks out or smoke is detected
- be familiar with the different types of fire extinguishers, state their use and identify the safety precautions associated with their use
- understand the importance of being familiar with evacuation procedures and associated escape routes.